Out of ideas on ways to entertain your dog? Well, fear no more, as I’ve put together a list of easy and simple ways to entertain your dog to keep them busy and from getting bored.
1. Let your dog watch TV
Television is a great way to entertain your dog. You could tune your dog to DOGTV, the first television experience created for dogs to relax and entertain them and can reduce their anxiety and stress. There are also a variety of Youtube videos made especially for dogs that you could put on for them, allowing them to experience sights and sounds that they will love. Alternatively, you could even put up your favorite tv show and spend some quality time with your dog and unwind.
2. Give them a Window Seat
Dogs love a good view to see what’s happening in the world. Keep the curtains opened to a window in your house that offers a good view of the backyard or street. Prop up some cushions and lay blankets so your dog is encouraged to spend time there and is able to look out comfortably.
You could also take your dog out for a short ride in your car. Place them by the window and keep the window rolled down half-way so they’re able to poke their heads out and enjoy the wind. This will definitely keep your dog entertained.
3. Get them a Kong Ball
Kong Balls are a great way to entertain your dog. They have a small opening which you can fill with your dog’s favourite treats and keep them busy for hours. They’re really easy to prepare and you can even freeze them, to give your dogs a challenge and make them last longer.
Kong’s can also help satisfy your dog’s instinctual needs and they provide great mental stimulation.
You can stuff Kong balls with kibble, peanut butter, snacks, or kong easy treats.
4. Get a Furbo Dog Camera
If you want to keep your dog entertained while you are away from home, we suggest you get A Furbo Dog Camera. It allows you to see a Livestream and monitor your pet on your phone. It also has sensors to detect when your dog is barking and will and you push notifications to your smartphone, so you can check up on them and even talk to them via the app. You can also fill it with your dog’s favourite treats and toss it to them remotely with your phone. It is the perfect product if you want to monitor your pet from work or if you’re away from home but want to leave your dog at home.
Here are some other alternatives to the Furbo Dog Camera, with similar functions if you’re interested:
- WOpet Smart Pet Camera: Has an HD camera and night vision, so you can monitor your pet through video and check up on them. It also has a 2-way audio system built-in allowing you to talk to your pet as well. Also includes treats tossing.
- TOOGE Pet Camera: Allows you to monitor your pet during day or night. You can also choose to speak and listen to your pet with this device. Receive real-time activity alerts while you’re out, to ensure your dog is safe.
- VBroad Smart Pet Cam: Includes a wide-angle camera with night vision to capture every moment of your dog. It allows you to also toss treats to your dog to keep them happy and entertained. It also has instant social sharing built-in so you can share your dog’s adorable moments on social media.
5. Get them a Dog Puzzle
There are many interactive dog toys available on the market these days. They are great for keeping your dog occupied for hours. Dog puzzles usually involve a treat hidden inside a contraption that they have to figure out how to get. They’re a great way to mentally stimulate your dogs. Some interesting dog puzzles on the market include:
- StarMark Bob-A-Lot: An interactive dog toy that feeds and exercises your dog at the same time. Fill it up your dog’s food and give it to them to play with. Made with a weighted bottom, to keep it wobbling and enticing your dog to play.
- Nina Ottosson Dog Twister Dog Puzzle: This is a treat dispenser made as an interactive puzzle for dogs to train them to lean sequential steps. It is great for stimulating and giving your pups a challenge. It includes 9 compartments and 9 locking switches for them to try and open.
- Outward Hound Dog Casino Puzzle: This is an advanced dog puzzle/treat dispenser for dogs to stimulate and challenge them. Includes 6 drawers, which you can fill with treats, which your pup has to open to get their reward.
6. Get them an Interesting New Toy to Play With
As a dog owner, you may have noticed that your dogs’ toys don’t last too long, or over time, your dog tends to get bored with their old toys. It is a good idea to introduce new, interesting toys to your dog to keep them excited, interested and stimulated. Toys that are tough or can’t be torn apart are best so they last longer. Here is a list of some interesting toys you can get for your dog:
- Nylabone Dura Chew Ring: A flavored, textured ring for large dogs who are aggressive chewers. Made to be durable and entertaining enough to keep your dog busy.
- Allrier Dog Chew Toy: A durable and tough dog toy made of 100% natural rubber. It is also designed with 360-degree granular cleaner and serves to also clean your dog’s teeth as they chew it.
- Hartz Dura Play Bacon Scented Dog Toy: This is perfect for all types of dogs. It is made of firm natural latex but is soft and flexible to the touch. It is also bacon-scented, which will make it irresistible to your dog.
7. Hide Treats Around the House
Dogs enjoy sniffing around and treats, so try hiding a handful of kibble or your dogs’ favorite treats around the house for them to find. You can decide how easy or difficult you want to make it for your dog based on where you place them. This is sure to set your dog spending the entire day sniffing them out and keeping busy.
8. Take Your Pup on a Play Date
Have any neighbors or friends with dogs? Schedule and invite them over for some fun playtime. It will give your dog a chance to socialise and interact with other pups. You could also drop your dog off at a friend’s place, giving you time to do other activities around the house and catch up on chores, without worrying about what your dog is up to.
9. Hire a Dog Walker for Your Dog
Hiring dog walkers is becoming pretty normal these days. If you are someone who has a busy schedule and work long hours, this may be the perfect option for you. Dog walkers can ensure your pup is getting their daily exercise requirements.
There are many apps available that make finding dog walkers a breeze. Here are the ones you should look into:
- Wag!: Provides access to people seeking dog walking jobs in your area. It is perfect for connecting you with insured, dog-loving walkers in as little as 30 minutes. You can even GPS track your dog throughout their walk with the app. The app is available for IOS devices.
- PetBacker: Allows you to find dog walkers around your area with the click of a button. You can view verified information about the walkers and rate and review them. All you have to do is fill out a questionnaire and you get matched with dog walkers in your area.
- Rover.com: Offers over 65,00 dog walkers across all 50 states. The app, available for IOS and Android devices, allows you to find, book and manage dog walkers all from your phone. You can even pay for the services right through the app.
10. Teach them a New Trick
Does your dog know how to play dead or jump over you? Make a list of new tricks you want to teach your dog and then work with them to learn each trick, one at a time. This is sure to keep your dog entertained and stimulated. If you feel that your dog already knows a lot of tricks, there are always ways to make an old trick more challenging.
11. Give Your Dog Dental Chews
Giving your dog dental chews can prevent them from chewing on your things and will also keep their teeth clean and freshen their breaths. It’s like killing two birds with one stone.
Here are some dental chews you should consider:
- Greenies Original Natural Dental Dog Treats: These dental treats also contain vitamins, minerals and other nutrients for your dog. They are made to clean right down to the gum line to get rid of plaque and tarter.
- Virbac C.E.T Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews: Made with a dual enzymatic system and abrasive texture to help reduce your dog’s plaque and tarter. They are poultry flavoured providing a taste dogs love.
12. Take Your Dog on a Shopping Trip
Grab your pup and take them on an outing to their favorite dog-friendly store like Petco or PetSmart. This is sure to get your dog to be excited. Spend the day browsing and shopping with them or prop them into the shopping cart and let them relax.
There you have it! You now you have plenty of ideas on ways to entertain your dog if you feel like you can’t think of what to do. Share your tips and tricks for how you keep your dog entertained below.